Posted on August 14, 2015 at 5:00 AM
On Friday, September 18, 2015 in Asheville, North Carolina, MAHEC presents “Saying No: Exploring the Ethical Dimensions of Refusals in Healthcare.”
Refusals take place across the spectrum of healthcare
- The clinician who refuses to offer treatment believed to be futile, non-beneficial or inappropriate
- The patient who spurns a proposed discharge plan
- The family who declines to discuss changes in goals of care
- The hospital system that decides not to carry certain drugs on its formulary
- The healthcare system that refrains from providing coverage to certain regions or categories of patients.
These are some of the many dimensions of “no” that will be explored in this highly interactive program combining case studies, lecture and participant engagement in both plenary and small break out sessions.