Stop Hospital Euthanasia is a new volunteer organization led by people who had a loved one euthanized against their loved one’s expressed written or verbally stated direction. Its primary goal is to prevent the euthanasia of patients against their will or their parents’ will in the case of minor children, particularly in an inpatient hospital situation.
- To inform patients and their agents of their rights in regards to doctors and hospitals in individual states and provinces
- To provide information regarding the importance of having a Power of Attorney for health care, or its equivalent legal document, in any state or province
- To advise people that it is crucial to appoint a legal representative who: has the authority to make medical decisions if the person is incapable of speaking or making decisions for him/herself; who agrees with his/her medical decisions; and who will, if necessary, stand up against medical authority
- To identify the legal rights of patients and their agent in regards to doctors and hospital medical decisions pertinent to various states and provinces
- To provide cases of actual hospital involuntary euthanasia (removing identifying information) for educational purposes, regarding what institutions can do and have done if the patient and his/her agent are not knowledgeable of their rights
- To provide contacts to other organizations which can provide legal support if the patient or their agent is in an irresolvable dispute with the hospital in resisting being euthanized
- To provide referrals to grief, guilt and anger counselors about a loved one who was euthanized against their will
- To raise awareness in peaceful, legal, civil actions to peacefully protest the use of involuntary euthanasia – including that requested when the no-longer-competent person was competent.