Posted on September 13, 2018 at 5:36 PM
Join me on Thursday, September 27, 2018, from 12:00 PM to 1:30 PM for a MSBA CLE panel on Medical Aid in Dying at Stinson Leornard Street LLP Hennepin Room.
A number of states have legalized medical aid in dying (MAID). While MAID is not legal in Minnesota, its lawmakers have introduced related legislation. Meanwhile, clients who seek help from Minnesota attorneys on end-of-life issues may not remain in Minnesota. Understanding MAID and its distinction from related concepts like assisted suicide and euthanasia will become increasingly important to Minnesota attorneys serving people living with terminal illness.
During this CLE sponsored by MSBA Elder Law Section, a panel of speakers representing legal, clinical, and legislative perspectives will address
- Distinctions between MAID, assisted suicide, and euthanasia
- The state of law in jurisdictions where MAID is legal
- The End of Life Options Act under consideration in Minnesota
- How the medical community generally addresses ethical conflicts among suffering patients, grieving caregivers, and healthcare professionals
- How the legality of MAID in other jurisdictions and prospectively in Minnesota may influence an attorney’s service to clients with terminal diagnoses
Professor Eileen Weber, JD, DNP, University of Minnesota School of Nursing
Dr. Carla Cerra, DNP, APRN, Adult/Gerontology NP & Biomedical Ethics Chair, Hennepin Healthcare
Senator Chris Eaton, RN, State Senator for Minnesota State District 40
Professor Thaddeus Pope, PhD, JD, Mitchell Hamline School of Law