Posted: Tuesday, January 14th, 2020
The Bioethics Program Associate (PA) will devote 75% time to providing administrative and operational assistance to the nascent UCSF Bioethics Program and 25% time to supporting various sponsored research projects, The PA will report to the Bioethics Program Manager.
The PA is responsible for the general operations of the nascent UCSF Bioethics program. The PA will manage communications and coordinate activities across clinical ethics, ethics education (including curriculum development), research ethics, and investigator-imitated or collaborative research projects. This includes tasks such as: tracking research ethics consultation requests; scheduling and supporting planning meetings, seminars and symposia; and developing content for and maintaining / updating the UCSF Bioethics web presence. The PA will manage the calendar for the Director of Bioethics, assist in general office maintenance, and complete other administrative duties as assigned.
As research support for various sponsored research projects, the PA will work directly with the study teams and collaborators to facilitate team communications, timelines, and operations, coordinating human research protection activities, data management, and publications / report writing. The PA will perform literature searches and organize bibliographic resources for the team, and assist in the production of dissemination materials including reports, manuscripts and presentations.
The position of Bioethics Program Associate demands a mix of administrative competence and program management skills. The PA contributes across the full range of a developing UCSF program, including daily operations, long-range planning and educational offerings. The PA will work with a multi-disciplinary team to carry out various complex bioethics research projects.
NOTE: To be considered for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume, and writing sample as a single PDF document.
BIOETHICS / INSTITUTE FOR HEALTH & AGING
UCSF Bioethics spans across all the professional schools at UCSF. The program was established in the spring of 2016 to unite activities in clinical ethics, research ethics, and bioethics education. Its administrative home is within the Institute for Health & Aging (IHA). IHA is an organized research unit at UCSF. The work of the Institute includes extensive and successful research, training and public service in the areas of bioethics, aging, and health policy.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
• Bachelor's degree in science and technology, bioethics, sociology, nursing, anthropology, genomics or a related field and / or equivalent two years of experience / training
• Working knowledge of common organization-specific and other computer application programs
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience with computer programs commonly used in research and in UCSF administration including but not limited to: Microsoft Office (specifically Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel), relational data bases, EndNote or other reference managers
• Solid communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff, both verbally and in writing
• Solid organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes
• Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality when interacting with patient participants, managing finances, or participating in other similarly sensitive discussions
• Ability to use sound judgment in responding to issues and concerns that arise during research activities or communications, maintaining a professional demeanor, and escalating issues when the situation calls for it
• Social science or health policy research or empirical bioethics research experience, particularly on grant funded projects
• Experience with research ethics consultation, clinical ethics consultation, or ethics curriculum development. Comparable experience would include coordinating academic or research programs