Inova Health System
Falls Church, Virginia, United States
Inova Health System is continuing its development of a robust Ethics program and invites applications for a Clinical Ethicist to join our team. The Center for Ethics enjoys strong institutional support and is expanding to create a fully integrated, collaborative approach across our five hospitals to address clinical and organizational ethics issues. The Clinical Ethicist will provide ethics consultations, develop strategic and functional initiatives, and support Inova’s mission to improve the health of the diverse community we serve through excellence in patient care, education and research. The Clinical Ethicist reports directly to the Director for Clinical and Organizational Ethics and will be based at the 935-bed Inova Fairfax Medical Campus.
Inova serves more than 2 million people each year from throughout the Washington, DC, metro area and beyond. We are consistently ranked among the top healthcare providers in the United States, and are home to a Children’s Hospital, Women’s Hospital, Heart and Vascular Institute, the Schar Cancer Institute, the Center for Personalized Health, the Translational Medicine Institute, and a robust organ transplantation program. We are shaping the future of health through our integrated network of hospitals, primary and specialty care practices, emergency and urgent care centers, outpatient services and destination institutes.
We are also a teaching facility, fostering a highly sought after learning environment for the next generation of physicians and healthcare professionals, with partners at the medical schools of Georgetown, George Washington, and VCU School of Medicine. Inova’s program is based on individualized health sciences, population health and genomic research and it has residency programs in 11 specialties. Open rank academic appointment is possible for qualified candidates.
Washington D.C. is ranked by U.S. News and World Report as the #4 Best to Live, with an abundance of parks, museums, theatres, cultural events, recreational venues, and a blossoming restaurant scene. Cheer on our professional sports teams, or take advantage of hiking, camping and boating opportunities in nearby Shenandoah National Park, Great Falls State Park and other amazing outdoor spaces.
Highly competitive salary commensurate with Federal GS-15 (D.C. locality) and will be based on training and experience.
• Terminal post-graduate degree, such as a MD, PhD or JD, in a field related to bioethics. PhD(c) will be considered if PhD in hand in the next 12 months
• Demonstrated knowledge of the principles, concepts and methods of healthcare ethics consultation and bioethics education
• Demonstrated working knowledge of the healthcare system and preferably, application of health law in the health care setting
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Compassionate and empathetic professional with excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to integrate cross-cultural care, end of life / palliative care, psychosocial and spiritual care into clinical care
• Ability to learn and stay current on medical technologies, treatments, and procedures
• Demonstrated ability to influence effectively and consistently with an eclectic audience
• Adept in critical and creative thinking and able to navigate complex ethical issues
• Strong interest in collaborative and interdisciplinary work
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide ethics consultations in a high-volume Ethics Consultation Service
• Assist and support Ethics orientation, education and outreach programs
• Provide support for the Ethics Committee
• Assist in assuring compliance with regulatory and accreditation standards pertaining to clinical ethics and patient rights.
At Inova Health System, we strive to improve the health of the communities we serve, and that includes taking care of our employees, who help us fulfill our mission every day. That’s why we offer affordable, comprehensive benefits coverage for you and your family including generous paid time off, health and dental insurance, student loan refinancing, tuition assistance, and 401(k) and 403(b) retirement plans.
Review of applications will begin on August 15, 2017 and will remain open until filled. Interested individuals may apply by electronically sending a cover letter, current curriculum vitae, writing sample or presentation for a national meeting, and the names of three references with complete contact information to: