Posted: Friday, October 19th, 2018
Inova Health System is continuing its development of a robust Ethics program and invites applications for a Clinical Ethicist or Senior Clinical Ethicist. Previous applicants are encouraged to re-apply this year. Currently staffed with 3.5 Ethicists, we will fill 2 positions who will report to the Director of the Center for Clinical and Organizational Ethics. The Center enjoys strong institutional support and is expanding to create a fully integrated, collaborative approach across our five hospitals to address clinical and organizational ethics issues. Highly competitive salary commensurate with Federal Executive Schedule (EX) will be based on training and experience.
Inova serves more than 2 million people each year from throughout the Washington, DC, metro area and beyond. We are consistently ranked among the top healthcare providers in the United States, and are home to a Children's Hospital, Women's Hospital, Heart and Vascular Institute, the Schar Cancer Institute, the Center for Personalized Health, the Translational Medicine Institute, and a robust organ transplantation program. We are shaping the future of health through our integrated network of hospitals, primary and specialty care practices, emergency and urgent care centers, outpatient services and destination institutes.
We are also a teaching facility, fostering a highly sought after learning environment for the next generation of physicians and healthcare professionals, with partners at the medical schools of Georgetown, George Washington, and Virginia Commonwealth University. Inova’s program is based on individualized health sciences, population health and genomic research and it has residency programs in 11 specialties. Open rank academic appointment is possible for qualified candidates.
Falls Church is rated #1 in U.S. News and World Reports assessment of Healthiest Communities, and Washington D.C. is ranked by U.S. News and World Report as the #4 Best to Live, with an abundance of parks, museums, theatres, cultural events, recreational venues, and a blossoming restaurant scene. Cheer on our professional sports teams, or take advantage of hiking, camping and boating opportunities in nearby Shenandoah National Park, Great Falls State Park and other amazing outdoor spaces.
• Terminal post-graduate degree (MD, PhD, JD, or equivalent) with experience in a field related to bioethics. Fellowship training preferred. Healthcare degrees such as RN or SW with an ethics-related Masters and significant experience in a field related to bioethics will be considered.
• Must have prior hospital-based experience, 5+ years experience preferred, conducting clinical ethics consultations as an independent or primary clinical ethics consultant
• Must have demonstrated knowledge of principles, concepts and methods involved in clinical ethics and clinical ethics consultation
• Strong demonstrated skills in curriculum development, teaching, research, writing and professional presentation
• Team-oriented professional with proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex interdisciplinary environment to achieve mission goals and deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to build consensus and foster change in a business setting
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide leadership in developing and conducting ethics consultation services for a high-volume Ethics Consultation Service
• Provide leadership to develop, implement, maintain and evaluate ethics orientation, education and outreach programs
• Provide support for the Ethics Committee and subcommittee meetings
• Provide multidisciplinary education in the undergraduate and graduate medical curricula
• Conduct independent and collaborative ethics research and scholarship
• Assure compliance with regulatory and accreditation standards pertaining to clinical ethics and patient rights.
At Inova Health System, we strive to improve the health of the communities we serve, and that includes taking care of our employees, who help us fulfill our mission every day. That’s why we offer affordable, comprehensive benefits coverage for you and your family including generous paid time off, health and dental insurance, student loan refinancing, tuition assistance, and 401(k) and 403(b) retirement plans.
Review of applications will begin on October 19, 2017 and will remain open until filled. Early applications are strongly encouraged. Interested individuals may apply by electronically at Inova.org or by sending a cover letter, current curriculum vitae, statement of scholarly interests, and the names of three references with complete contact information to:
3300 Gallows Road
Falls Church, VA 22042