|JOB TITLE:||Clinical Ethics Consultant|
|DEADLINE:||Monday, October 14th, 2019|
Chicago, IL, United States
Clinical Ethics Consultant
UI Health is seeking a Clinical Ethics Consultant. The Clinical Ethics Consultant is responsible for the development and delivery of UI Health’s Clinical Ethics Consultation Service. This includes: providing comprehensive consultation to UI Hospital & Clinic clinicians, staff, and patients; organizing consult rounds on UIH’s patient care units; for assigned patients, assessment of the patient medical record, discussion with patient / family / healthcare team members, assessment of ethical issues involved, informing actions needed to assist with resolution of the issues, and facilitating planning and implementation of the action plan; educating clinicians, staff, and students; and participation in relevant UI Health committees and policy development.
* Consult on a regular basis with physicians and patient care teams, and patients and family members, regarding ethical issues related to patient care. Ensure timely responses to issues of mutual concern.
* Provide education and support to clinical teams including joining in care rounds on occasion, to provide proactive support in identifying and resolving ethics concerns.
* Convene and facilitate UI Health’s Ethics Committee, providing ongoing reports of consult activity and quality data to the Committee.
* Ensure collaboration and effective partnership with Palliative Care, Pastoral Care, Safety & Risk, and Patient and Guest Services.
* Help build and staff an ethics consultation service that provides coverage 24 hours / 7 days a week.
* Ensure timely and thorough documentation of consultations and patient outcomes.
* Review and analyze consult and activity data in a timely fashion and develop appropriate interventions from this data to ensure an effective and continuously-improving program.
* Monitor progress on improvement efforts and recommend appropriate follow up / corrective action when needed.
* Maintain mastery of current clinical ethics guidelines and best practices, and ensure ongoing compliance for UI Health with applicable state and federal regulations and standards.
* Provide effective and timely education to clinicians, staff, and students on policies, standards, and patient care issues as identified by observation or requested by staff or administration.
* Facilitate regular Ethics Grand Rounds at UIH and provide continuing education credits as appropriate, with program topics informed by consult activity, Ethics Committee discussions, policy changes, and UI Health clinician and staff requests.
* Contribute to scholarly work / research as well as participate in professional organizations related to the clinical ethics field.
* Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
* Advanced degree (e.g., M.D. or Master’s or Doctoral degree in Ethics, Theology, Nursing, or related field) required.
* Advanced training in Clinical Ethics (e.g., Masters or Fellowship) strongly preferred.
* Minimum five (5) years previous experience with Clinical Ethics case consultation strongly preferred.
* Prior academic medical center experience strongly preferred.
* Must be eligible for Healthcare Ethics Consultant certification; HEC-C certification must be obtained within 12 months of hire.
Salary & Benefits:
UI Health offers competitive benefit packages, including: vacation days, paid holidays, Floating Holidays, State University Retirement System, tuition waiver, tuition discount for dependents, and excellent medical, dental, and vision packages.
For consideration, please submit a complete application and supplemental resume by October 14, 2019.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.