Posted: Friday, August 14th, 2020
The Division of Medical Ethics at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York City currently has an opportunity for two full-time 2-year fellowship positions in clinical ethics to begin July 1, 2021.
This academic fellowship is part of the New York-Houston Medical Ethics Consortium, which brings together Weill Cornell Medical College, the New York-Presbyterian Healthcare System, Houston Methodist Hospital and Baylor College of Medicine. The aim of this consortium is to provide fellows with an outstanding opportunity in clinical and research ethics by drawing upon transcontinental expertise and varied practice settings. Fellows will learn from a distinguished faculty and each other through various joint activities: video-conferenced seminar series, case conferences, and journal clubs; visiting observerships at consortium hospitals; and retreats in Houston and New York. The program will provide fellows with the clinical experience, training and education required to become experts in clinical ethics consultation and prepare them for academic careers in medical ethics.
Fellowship Components and Service Expectations
• Training in adult and pediatric clinical ethics consultation based on the American Society for Bioethics and Humanities core competencies in clinical ethics consultation.
• Mentored scholarship in clinical or research ethics including a capstone project.
• Structured curriculum on advanced topics in bioethics.
• Case conferences and journal club.
• Active participation on the ethics consultation service, including supervised on-call responsibilities.
• Active participation in institutional ethics committee meetings.
• Participation in the educational activities of the Division, including the teaching of medical students and house staff.
• Participation in Divisional and Consortium scholarly programs.
• Clinical rotation on the ethics service of our partner institutions in Houston.
• Fellows who choose to participate in part-time clinical practice in their respective specialties during the fellowship may have this opportunity.