Posted: Wednesday, June 26th, 2019
Title: Wellstar Fellowship in Clinical Ethics
Deadline: July 31, 2019
Location: Wellstar Health System
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Contact: Jason Lesandrini
Telephone: (470) 956-6425
The Ethics Program at Wellstar Health System in Atlanta, Georgia is seeking 2 qualified applicants for a full-time, two-year clinical ethics fellowship. Fellows in this program can expect to develop the skills and competencies needed to become a professional clinical ethicist upon completion of the fellowship, including skills and competencies in clinical ethics consultation, ethics education, policy development, and research and quality improvement in clinical ethics.
Situated within the largest health system in Georgia, the Ethics Program at Wellstar Health System is a thriving program that enjoys robust institutional support and is looking to become a leader in the field of clinical, organizational, and research ethics. The Ethics Program is actively integrated throughout the health system, including Wellstar’s 11 hospitals, 3 skilled nursing facilities, 3 inpatient hospices, and numerous outpatient sites. The Ethics Program is also active in Wellstar’s two large medical residency programs at Kennestone Hospital and Atlanta Medical Center, in addition to the new Hospice and Palliative Medicine fellowship at Kennestone Hospital.
The fellowship offers:
• Comprehensive clinical ethics consultation training from experienced clinical ethicists in a high-volume ethics consultation service with progressive independence and responsibilities for fellows throughout the fellowship.
• Experience conducting clinical ethics consultations in a variety of healthcare settings, including teaching hospitals, community hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, inpatient hospice facilities, among others.
• Opportunities for teaching ethics to caregivers across the health system.
• A weekly clinical ethics educational curriculum dedicated to increasing fellows’ ethics knowledge base and fostering the analytical skills needed for high-level ethical analysis.
• Development of skills in research and quality improvement in clinical ethics.
• An environment eager for collaboration in ethics research and education.
• Opportunities to observe and participate in differing committees and meetings related to clinical ethics, including Wellstar’s hospital, hospice, and long-term care ethics committees, the organ donation advisory committee, the Institutional Review Board, etc.
• Experience in ethics policy review and development.
• Active participation in the Ethics Program’s activities, including the yearly Ethics Forum.
• Mentoring from professional clinical ethicists for career guidance and professional development.
Applications will be considered from professionals who have terminal post-graduate degrees (MD, JD, PhD) in medicine, philosophy, nursing, social work, religious studies, law, or other fields related to the practice of clinical or academic bioethics. Certain ABD candidates (those who have completed all doctoral work other than the dissertation) may be considered if their dissertation significantly relates to clinical ethics and can be completed during the two-year fellowship. Strong consideration will be given to applicants with potential for leadership in the field and who are dedicated to the advancement and improvement of professional clinical ethics.
The annual salary is competitive with other national clinical ethics fellowships. Benefits include healthcare and funding for travel to ethics conferences or other professional development opportunities.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. For more information, please contact Jason Lesandrini, Assistant Vice President of Ethics, Advance Care Planning, and Spiritual Health at email@example.com or (470) 956-6425.
See link to apply:
Application Requirements (Standard): C.V., Letter of Interest, Writing Sample(s), and Reference Names and Contact Info
Additional requirement for predoctoral fellows – a five page (double-spaced) document detailing your dissertation project and its relation to clinical ethics, its current status and level of completion, your projected timeline for completion, and how you envision integrating your dissertation research into your work here at Wellstar during the fellowship.