Posted: Friday, May 31st, 2019
Excellence: It Starts Here
As a recognized leader in health care delivery, policy, and technology, we answer the needs of more than 11 million men, women, and children every day through the work we do. This mission begins with the passion, vision, and commitment of our leaders.
Medical Bioethics Director
Panorama City, California
In this role, you will provide leadership and oversight for the Medical Center’s Bioethics Program, including health care ethics consultation, policy development, organizational ethics quality activities, and ethics education. You will promote and sustain ethical consideration into the Medical Center environment of care and promote public and professional awareness of Kaiser Permanente’s commitment to ethical values. In addition, you will align the Bioethics Program with strategic organizational priorities and contribute to the activities of the Southern California Regional Bioethics Program.
• A master’s degree in a health care related field, including but not limited to ethics, nursing, philosophy, social work, or theology
• Evidence of coursework in health care ethics
• At least two years of experience as the primary consultant in conducting health care ethics consultation (could include fellowship years including serving as primary author of ethics consultation documentation in the medical record)
• At least one year of experience as Chair or Co-Chair of a hospital ethics committee, or demonstrated substantial leadership in a hospital ethics committee, such as leading policy development, ethics education, or ethics quality projects
• At least two years of demonstrated teaching experience
• Documentation of three de-identified health care ethics case consultations
• Demonstrated experience collaborating with multiple disciplines in a health care environment
• Knowledge of principles, concepts, and methods of health care ethics consultation and ethics program development to analyze, evaluate, and provide expert advice and consultation, as well as direction and guidance on critical and complex ethical issues (clinical, organizational and research)
• The ability to analyze practical problems, explain and justify recommendations, and collaborate as a member of a multidisciplinary team
• Essential abilities to include strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, a tolerance for ambiguity, and an understanding of clinical processes and problem-solving
• The ability to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment
Preferred Qualifications Include:
• A doctorate (including M.D. or J.D.) in a health care related field, with fellowship experience in health care ethics
• Four years of experience as the primary consultant in conducting health care ethics consultation (this could include fellowship years including serving as primary author of ethics consultation documentation in the medical record)
• Four years of experience as Chair or Co-Chair of a hospital ethics committee, or demonstrated substantial leadership in a hospital ethics committee, such as leading policy development, ethics education, or ethics quality projects
• Healthcare Ethics Consultant Certified (HEC-C) credential preferred
For immediate consideration, please visit http://kp.org/careers for complete qualifications and job submission details, referencing job number 798120. For more information, please email Corinna Riddle at Corinna.LRiddle@kp.org.
Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
This position supports Kaiser Permanente’s code of conduct and compliance by adhering to all laws and regulations, accreditation and licensure requirements, and internal policies and procedures.
Discover what it’s like to be part of an industry-leading organization driving innovative care and technology. Get social with us and see what people are saying!
Glassdoor and LinkedIn: Kaiser Permanente
Facebook: Kaiser Permanente Thrive
YouTube: Kaiser Permanente Careers