Posted: Monday, October 7th, 2019
SENIOR CLINICAL ETHICIST
Inova Health System is continuing its development of a robust Ethics program and invites applications for a Senior Clinical Ethicist to help lead our team. The Center for Ethics enjoys strong institutional support and is expanding to create a fully integrated, collaborative approach across our five hospitals to address clinical and organizational ethics issues. The Senior Clinical Ethicist is key to developing and leading strategic development in service lines that support Inova’s mission to improve the health of the diverse community we serve through excellence in patient care, education and research. This position reports to the Director of Clinical and Organizational Ethics and will oversee the Ethics Service for the Inova Fair Oaks Hospital campus.
Inova serves more than 2 million people each year from throughout the Washington, DC, metro area and beyond. We are consistently ranked among the top healthcare providers in the United States, and are home to a Children's Hospital, Women's Hospital, Heart and Vascular Institute, the Schar Cancer Institute, the Center for Personalized Health, the Translational Medicine Institute, and a robust organ transplantation program. We are also a teaching facility, fostering a highly sought after learning environment for the next generation of physicians and healthcare professionals, with partners at the medical schools of Georgetown, George Washington, and Virginia Commonwealth University.
The Washington D.C. area is ranked by U.S. News and World Report as a Top Ten Best to Live, with an abundance of parks, museums, theatres, cultural events, recreational venues, and a blossoming restaurant scene. Cheer on our professional sports teams, or take advantage of hiking, camping and boating opportunities in nearby Shenandoah National Park, Great Falls State Park and other amazing outdoor spaces.
Highly competitive salary commensurate with Federal Executive Schedule will be based on training and experience. Open rank academic appointment is possible for qualified candidates.
• Terminal post-graduate degree, such as a MD, PhD or JD, in a field related to bioethics.
• 5+ years experience strongly preferred, conducting clinical ethics consultations as an independent or primary clinical ethics consultant in both the tertiary hospital setting and community hospital setting.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Compassionate and empathetic professional with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Strong skills in curriculum development, teaching, research, writing and professional presentation.
• Team-oriented professional with proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex interdisciplinary environment to achieve mission goals and deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to build consensus and foster change in a business setting.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide leadership in developing and conducting ethics consultation services for a high-volume Ethics Consultation Service.
• Provide leadership to develop, implement, maintain and evaluate ethics consultation, education and outreach programs.
• Help build and staff an ethics consultation service that provides coverage 24 hours / 7 days a week.
• Ensure timely and thorough documentation of consultations and patient outcomes.
• Review and analyze consult and activity data in a timely fashion and develop appropriate interventions from this data to ensure an effective and continuously-improving program.
• Provide support for the Ethics Committee and assume responsibility for subcommittee meetings.
• Provide multidisciplinary education in the undergraduate and graduate medical curricula.
• Conduct independent and collaborative ethics research and scholarship.
• Assure compliance with regulatory and accreditation standards pertaining to clinical ethics and patient rights.
At Inova Health System, we strive to improve the health of the communities we serve, and that includes taking care of our employees, who help us fulfill our mission every day. That’s why we offer affordable, comprehensive benefits coverage for you and your family including generous paid time off, health and dental insurance, student loan refinancing, tuition assistance, and 401(k) and 403(b) retirement plans.
Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2019 and will remain open until filled. Interested individuals are encouraged to apply early. Please send a cover letter, current curriculum vitae, and the names of three references with complete contact information to:
3300 Gallows Road
Falls Church, VA 22042
Or, apply online at: