Posted: Wednesday, October 24th, 2018
Vanderbilt Postdoctoral Fellowship in Healthcare Ethics
The Center for Biomedical Ethics and Society at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) seeks applicants for the Vanderbilt Postdoctoral Fellowship in Healthcare Ethics. A fellow in this two-year, full-time opportunity will develop professional skills in clinical ethics consultation, policy development, ethics education and research. Fellows will receive a stipend, health benefits, and funding to attend one national conference.
The mission of the Center for Biomedical Ethics and Society is to provide leadership in education, research, and clinical service at VUMC concerning the ethical, legal, and social dimensions of medicine, health care, and health policy. The Center is committed to multi-disciplinary exploration of the individual and social values, cultural dynamics, and legal and professional standards that characterize and influence clinical practice and biomedical research. The Center aims to be a catalyst for collaboration in teaching, research, and practice at Vanderbilt and to contribute to scholarship and policy making from the local to the international level.
Responsibilities and opportunities of a fellow will include:
• Involvement in all aspects of the ethics consultation service
• Teaching healthcare ethics to a cross section of students, trainees, faculty and staff
• Development of research and/or scholarly projects in healthcare ethics
• Participation in Center activities including weekly fellowship seminars
• Attendance of institutional ethics committee meetings
• Contribution to Vanderbilt Health Affiliated Network ethics activities as appropriate
• Other responsibilities developed based on fellow’s interests, e.g. participation in transplant selection committees
Applicants should have a terminal degree in medicine, philosophy, nursing, social work, religious studies, law, or other fields related to healthcare ethics. Strong consideration will be given to applications that demonstrate readiness to learn and contribute to the ethics of care delivered within an academic medical center. Please submit a letter of interest, CV, writing sample, and three references to: Keith G. Meador, MD, MPH, email@example.com , Center for Biomedical Ethics and Society; 2525 West End Ave; Suite 400; Nashville TN 37203. Consideration of applications will begin December 1, 2018 with a start date of July 1, 2019.
Electronic submissions are preferred. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, members of minority groups, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.