Posted on March 19, 2020 at 5:56 PM
Bioethics.net and the American Journal of Bioethics have assembled a bioethics toolkit for people dealing with COVID-19.
We have a collection of important blogs from around the internet that you can find here. We also highly recommending our growing catalog of our original blog posts by leading scholars writing on bioethics in pandemics.
Other compendium resources
- The Hastings Center has assembled a number of reports and resources.
- Thomas Cunningham at Kaiser-Permanent has put together a comprehensive resource of academic articles, government plans, and allocation frameworks.
- AMA COVID-19 Ethics Resource Center
For the best scientific information:
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention
- World Health Organization
- Johns Hopkins University Global Case Counter
- Epidemiology on COVID
For ethical Guidelines for Responding to Crisis:
- Nuffield Council on Ethics Policy Papers
- Ireland’s Ethical Framwork for Decision-Making in a Pandemic
- UNESCO: Ethical Considerations from a Global Perspective
- Illinois Ethics Framework Crisis Standards of Care White Paper
- Maryland Framework for Public Health Emergency 2017
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics: Guidance in a Pandemic
- Ethical Guidance for Leaders and Health Care Professionals in the VA
For plans on triage:
- Italian Guidelines for Distributing Resource Scarcity
- Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences Pandemic Triage Under Scarcity Guidelines
- From NEJM: Fair Allocation of Scarce Medical Resources in the Time of COVID-19
- State of Minnesota guidance for triaging scared resources
- State of Texas Pandemic Resource Allocation Plan
- Papdimos, Hardart, Stawicki. Ethics of Outbreaks Position Statement. Therapies, Treatment Limitations, and Duty to Treat. Society of Critical Care Medicine.
SCCM outbreaks ethics pt1, SCCM outbreaks ethics pt2
- Cohen, Crespo, & White, Potential Legal Liability for Withdrawing or Withholding Ventilators During COVID-19. JAMA
- Truog, Mitchell, & Daley, The Toughest Triage – Allocating Ventilators in a Pandemic. NEJM
- White & Lo, A Framework for Rationing Ventilators and Critical Care Beds DUring the COVID-19 Pandemic. JAMA
- UVA’s Ethical Framework for Covid 19 Resources Allocation
For clinical algorithms for making allocation decisions
- SOFA Mortality Charts for Various Patient Populations
- APACHE II Scores
- Decision aid for Advance Directives during the COVID-19 Pandemic
For CPR/DNR with COVID protocols
For communicating with patients and others