Posted: Monday, January 20th, 2020
Requisition ID: 28009
Position Number: 20068801
Posting End Date: Open Until Filled
Site: St. Boniface Hospital
Department / Unit: Health Care Ethics Services
Job Stream: Clinical Support
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
Anticipated Shift: Days; On Call
Daily Hours Worked: 7.75
Annual Base Hours: 2015
Grow your career in the Winnipeg Health Region! Our team provides a spectrum of health care services through an integrated network of sites, services and organizations. We’re united by a shared commitment to excellent and equitable health care.
Under the portfolio of Mission, Ethics and Spiritual Health, funded by the Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba (CHCM) and the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority (WRHA), the Health Care Ethics Service (HCES) provides a comprehensive ethics program on-site at St. Boniface Hospital (SBH), as well to CHCM and its’ Communities of Service (CoS). The CLINICAL ETHICIST consults on ethical issues arising in the relationship between St. Boniface Hospital and other health/research entities, religious and academic organizations. Geographically located at St. Boniface Hospital, the Health Care Ethics Service also supports Communities of Service that are owned and operated by the Catholic Health Corporation of Manitoba (i.e. Actionmarguerite, Aulneau Renewal Centre, Centre de santé Saint-Boniface, Marymound, Sara Riel, St. Boniface Hospital, St. Joseph’s Residence, St. Amant, Ste. Rose General Hospital, Winnipegosis & District Health Centre and Youville Centre).
Reporting to the President and CEO, and the Director of Mission, Ethics and Spiritual Health, the CLINICAL ETHICIST works collaboratively with the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) to create integrated and sustainable ethics in medical practice promoting a thriving community to provide excellent patient care. The CLINICAL ETHICIST must demonstrate a deep understanding and sensitivity about ethical issues within Catholic-sponsored health care settings.
• Minimum two (2) years’ experience in clinical ethics is required.
• Previous relevant teaching experience in a health care setting.
• A Terminal degree in Medicine, Law, Bioethics, Philosophy or Moral Theology is preferred; however, consideration will also be given to candidates with a Master’s degree in a relevant area.
• Completion of a Clinical Ethics Fellowship or its equivalent is required.
• Preference of a Terminal degree and a Master’s degree in Ethics.
• Membership in the Canadian Bioethics Society (CBS) and/or the American Society for Bioethics and the Humanities (ASBH) is an asset. A willingness to become a member of the Catholic Health Alliance of Canada Ethics Network is required.
Qualifications and Skills
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others.
• Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities related to alternate dispute resolution/mediation and negotiation.
• A high degree of understanding and sensitivity about ethical issues within Catholic-sponsored health care settings, including a working knowledge of Catholic moral teaching.
• Demonstrated experience with policy review and development.
• Demonstrated experience with bioethics committees.
• Demonstrated excellence in collaborative intra-professional relationships in a health care setting.
• Demonstrated knowledge, skills and abilities in building trust and respect in morally and emotionally charged situations with individuals and groups.
• Demonstrated teaching competence with a solid understanding of the principles of adult and transformative education.
• Knowledge of research ethics standards.
• Demonstrated competence in verbal and written communication.
To learn more and apply, please visit https://careers.wrha.mb.ca/job/Winnipeg-Clinical-Ethicist-MB/535961817/. Only candidates of interest will be contacted.