Posted: Tuesday, March 3rd, 2020
Director of Bioethics
$79,920 - 93,960, commensurate with experience
Markkula Center for Applied Ethics, Santa Clara University
This is a fixed-term position with an end date of 6/30/2020. This position may be extended or converted to a regular position depending on business needs and funding.
The Director of is responsible for: the design and implementation of all programs in the bioethics program area at the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics; dentification, development, and execution of projects and activities, including identifying funding opportunities, supervising the Health Care Ethics Internship and associated staff, providing contracted ethics consultation services, pursuing opportunities for continuous program improvement and development, and building relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Identify and respond to key ethical issues in health care, including health care equity, biotechnology, particularly data analytics and artificial intelligence, and other areas of bioethics and public health and provide written commentary through blog posting, the Ethics Center website, local and national news outlets, and other means Lead in the continuous development and execution of partnerships and programming in the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics bioethics program area both on-campus and in the community
• Develop and execute content regarding ethical dilemmas encountered in health care and bioethics
• Build and sustain the bioethics program advisory council
• Respond as appropriate to media and other inquiries received by the Ethics Center Create on-line and other educational content appropriate for stakeholders and the general public in the bioethics area
• Collaborate with the Director of External Relations to investigate funding opportunities and secure funds in support of the bioethics program in general and the Internship in particular
• Expand and manage a pipeline of participants to engage in bioethics activities and programs by building robust relationships with stakeholders in the Santa Clara University and Silicon Valley communities
• Provide ethics consultation services to our contracted hospital partners and establish new partnerships or lines of service as required
• Provide direction to and further develop the Health Care Ethics Internship including developing and delivering content for reflection sessions and identifying new rotation opportunities
• Work with the Managing Director on developing new consulting opportunities
• Work with the Managing Director on contracting for consultation and Internship sites Prepare and manage the budget for the program area and Internship Additional duties as assigned by the Executive Director
• Advanced education in bioethics as demonstrated by a master's or doctoral degree; or, a relevant master's or professional degree and demonstrated understanding of ethical analysis, preferably along with formal training in bioethics.
• A minimum of 5 years' experience and demonstrated skill in bioethics in an academic and/or health care setting or equivalent
• Experience in program design, evaluation, and continuous improvement, e.g., design thinking
• Experience and demonstrated skill in consultation, education, and policy (institutional and public) development in bioethics or equivalent, preferably in a hospital or other health care setting
• Experience and demonstrated teaching skill in university and/or professional environments or equivalent
• Experience and demonstrated skill in program administration
• Experience and demonstrated skill in qualitative and/or quantitative research in bioethics or equivalent
• Experience in contracting highly desirable
• Experience with Human Subject protocols highly desirable Excellent written and oral communications skills (general and professional audiences) including public speaking or equivalent
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders including social sector professionals, students, staff, and faculty
• Ability to lead in complex program development
• Ability to work collaboratively with Ethics Center staff, professionals, and community partners in a leadership position
• Ability to work within a diverse and multicultural work environment
• Understanding of the Jesuit commitment to social justice and to the education of the whole person
• Appreciation of and commitment to further the mission, values, and goals of Santa Clara University and the Markkula Center for Applied Ethics.
To view the full job posting and apply for this position, go to https://apptrkr.com/1850778
Santa Clara University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.