Posted: Tuesday, February 5th, 2019
The Center for Bioethics at Hackensack University Medical Center invites applications for the full time position of Manager, Bioethics. The Manager, Bioethics will collaborate with the founding Director to expand upon the Center's current, robust bioethics activities and lead it in its mission to create an environment where all clinical, administrative, academic, and research activities reflect Hackensack Meridian Health's values of quality, integrity, professionalism, teamwork, and communication.
The primary responsibilities of the Manager, Bioethics will be to perform clinical bioethics consultations, consult bioethics rounds, develop and deliver bioethics education to a wide variety of learners, and support Center programs. In addition, the successful candidate will collaborate on bioethics quality improvement initiatives, policy development, and research ethics support, and engage in bioethics scholarship.
The newly created Center for Bioethics provides the successful candidate with opportunities for professional growth at expanding clinical, educational, and research programs at Hackensack University Medical Center, as well as through collaboration across the Hackensack Meridian Health Network and at the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University.
Faculty appointment at the Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University will be considered for qualified candidates.
1. Terminal degree in a relevant field (MD, JD, PhD, PA, SW, RN).
2. Graduate-level knowledge of bioethics principles and concepts, and their practical application in the clinical, research, and organizational settings, methods of healthcare ethics consultation, and relevant healthcare law.
3. Experience in clinical ethics consultation and bioethics education.
4. Outstanding written and oral communication, interpersonal, organizational, teaching and analytical skills.
5. Demonstrated ability to initiate, prioritize a 775-bed nonprofit academic medical center located in Bergen County, NJ, is a flagship hospital for Hackensack Meridian Health, and is the largest provider of inpatient and outpatient services in New Jersey. Founded in 1888 as the county's first hospital, it is listed as the number one hospital in New Jersey in U.S. News & World Report's 2017-18 Best Hospital rankings - maintaining its place atop the NJ rankings since the rating system was introduced. It was also named one of the top four New York Metro Area hospitals. HackensackUMC is one of only five major academic medical centers in the nation to receive Healthgrades America's 50 Best Hospitals Award for more than five years and was the first hospital in New Jersey and second in the nation to become a Magnet® recognized hospital for nursing excellence; receiving its fifth consecutive designation in 2014. HackensackUMC has created and manage multiple projects.
6. Ability to work effectively with patients and families as well as healthcare professionals across disciplines with a collaborative, empathic, and team oriented approach.
1. Experience in quality improvement.
2. Experience in bioethics curriculum development.
3. Master's or Doctoral degree in Bioethics.
Hackensack University Medical Center,
an entire campus of award-winning care, including: the John Theurer Cancer Center which is merged with Memorial Sloan-Kettering; the Heart & Vascular Hospital; and the Sarkis and Siran Gabrellian Women's and Children's Pavilion, which houses the Joseph M. Sanzari Children's Hospital and Donna A. Sanzari Women's Hospital, and its other medical services.
Hackensack Meridian Health
Hackensack Meridian Health was created in 2016 as a merger of HackensackUMC, and its affiliated hospitals, with Meridian Health System, and is now a large integrated not-for-profit health care organization spanning the eastern shore of New Jersey. Hackensack Meridian Health comprises 14 hospitals, including three academic medical centers, two children's hospitals, and nine community hospitals, two rehabilitation hospitals, physician practices, more than 120 ambulatory care centers, surgery centers, home health services, long-term care and assisted living communities, hospice services, ambulance services, lifesaving air medical transportation, fitness and wellness centers, rehabilitation centers, and urgent care and after-hours centers. Hackensack Meridian Health is a member of AllSpire Health Partners, an interstate consortium of leading health systems, focused on the sharing best practices in clinical care and achieving efficiencies.
Contact Us: Erin McDowell | Erin.McDowell@hackensackmeridian.org | 551-996-8396