|JOB TITLE:||Professors/Associate Professors of Medicine (Medical Ethics)|
|DEADLINE:||Friday, March 26th, 2021|
University of Oslo, Faculty of Medicine, Institute of Health and Society
|TELEPHONE:||+47 41 57 59 87|
About the position
For each of the two positions 50% of the position will be reserved to standard tasks as associate professor/professor (primarily teaching and research, and some administration and dissemination). This will include teaching in ethics – in particular research ethics and integrity and philosophy of science at various levels at the Faculty of Medicine – and research primarily within research area 1 and 3 above. The other 50% will be reserved for externally funded research.
A separate description of the position has been prepared.
* The required qualification for an associate professorship is a doctoral degree in the academic field concerned or equivalent expertise, and relevant research experience. Expertise within medical and health care ethics in general, and in at least one of the two following areas 1) philosophy of medicine and science, and 2) biomedical research ethics and research integrity, is essential. Degrees and experience in medicine, other health sciences, ethics, philosophy or other relevant fields, will be regarded as advantageous.
* The required qualifications for professors follow the national norms for Norwegian medical faculties
* High ambitions and quality of teaching, research and communications is expected
* Good communication skills both written and oral in English and Norwegian (or another Scandinavian language) are a prerequisite for performing all the tasks associated with the position. Applicants who are not competent in Norwegian, Swedish or Danish must acquire such competence within two years subsequent to their appointment, and must be competent in English in the interim period.
It will be emphasized that those who are appointed individually or together have strong competences across the areas of philosophy of medicine, philosophy of science, biomedical research ethics, and research integrity – in order to enable the delivery of high-quality teaching at relevant levels and research in these areas.
Successful grant applications in competitive R&D funds (EU-funds, the Research Council of Norway or similar), or other relevant experience showing an ability to raise external R&D funding in the relevant areas is required. It is expected that the position holders at all times have at least one externally funded R&D project at HELSAM.
The successful applicant will have a plan for development of her/his research, and for acquiring externally funded research projects. High quality of research, and publishing in peer-reviewed international journals is expected. The applicant is asked to describe his/her research profile, with respect to strategic plans and existing research at the department and institute, with particular emphasis on area 1 and 3 above.
Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to create an attractive research environment will be emphasised.
Active collaboration, also interdisciplinary and internationally is expected.
* Salary from kr. 658 300 to kr. 792 700 (ltr. 71-79) depending on competencies, in the position of Associate Professor (position code 1011)
* Salary from kr. 817 000 to kr. 1 019 400 (ltr. 80-88) depending on competencies, in the position of Professor (position code 1013)
* Good pension schemes
* Good welfare benefits
* The Associate Professor will have the opportunity to apply for promotion to a position as Professor at a later date
How to apply
The application must include:
* Application letter (motivation for the position and decription of own research, also in relation to existing research at the Centre for Medical Ethics)
* CV (education, work experience, teaching experience and other relevante experiences)
* Complete list of publications
* References (list of 2-3 persons with name, title, email and phone number)
Application with attachments must be submitted via our online recruitment system. Please note that all documentation must be in English or a Scandinavian language.
A screening committee will invite the most relevant candidates to submit up to 10 scientific articles for expert assessment. For this reason, scientific articles must not be uploaded with the application.
The basis for the assessment of the applicant will include the education and training, scientific production and quality, including the ability to raise external R&D funding, professional and academic experience, teaching experience and qualifications as well as the documented experience in administration and management. As part of the ranking of qualified applicants, the full scope of these qualifications will be explicitly assessed. Particular weight will be attached to qualifications that are central to the job description. Educational and scientific qualifications will carry more weight than other qualifications. Originality and innovation will be given priority before volume, and recent publications will be weighted higher than older ones.
The final review and recommendation of competent applicants will be prepared by an interview committee based on the recommendation of the assessment committee, interview of the applicants and reference interview. A trial lecture will normally be held.
The entire breadth of qualifications will be assessed in ranking competent applicants.
For more information about the job, please visit the job ad at Jobbnorge.no: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/200275/professors-associate-professors-of-medicine-medical-ethics
Contact Name (Name of person to contact about job):
Head of Centre Professor Reidar Pedersen: phone number: +47 41 57 59 87 , e-mail: email@example.com
For questions related to the electronic recruitment process: HR Adviser Helle Fritzsønn; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org