Senior Clinical Ethicist
The John J. Lynch, MD Center for Ethics at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is seeking applicants for the position of Senior Clinical Ethicist. MWHC is a not-for-profit, 912-bed academic medical center and the busiest and largest hospital in Washington, D.C., serving as the region’s Level I Trauma Center. MWHC has one of the most active ethics consultation services ( ~400 consultations a year) and longest running hospital ethics programs (since 1982) in the country.
The successful applicant will join a rotation of on-call clinical ethicists in conducting clinical ethics consultations, participate in clinical rounds, assist in ethics education and policy development, and will have significant on-the-job time to devote to ethics research and scholarship.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides ethical guidance and counsel to the John J. Lynch MD Center for Ethics and others at MedStar Washington Hospital Center and throughout the MedStar Health system related to moral frameworks, analyses, ethical decision-making, dispute resolution, research ethics and ethical considerations that arise from an institutional, perspective (e.g., marketing and advertising, fair billing practices conflicts of interest, etc.).
- Mentors the development and implementation of ethics education programs for physicians, staff, patients, families and members of the community. Serves as Senior Faculty for education programs produced by the John J. Lynch MD Center for Ethics or the Hospital Center’s Ethics Committee for healthcare providers. Mentors the development, orientation and ongoing self-education programs for ethics committee members, serving as Senior Faculty for such programming.
- Provides 24 hour on-call coverage on assigned days for ethics consultations. Mentors the performance of the ethics consultation service. Provides education, training, and consultation “back up” as needed for the ethics consultation service. Provides consultations services directly.
- Conducts research projects directly and mentors other’s research projects in the John J. Lynch MD Center for Ethics as needed.
- Directs, produces and/or collaborates on publications emanating from the John J. Lynch MD Center for Ethics, including ad hoc book and article/column projects.
- Mentors and directly supervises John J. Lynch MD Center for Ethics trainees, including resident, fellows, and interns as necessary to meet credentialing requirements and as needed.
- Assists and supports the director in carrying out the activities of the John J. Lynch MD Center for Ethics. Supports the administrative operations of the John J. Lynch MD Center for Ethics and contributes to the planning and implementation of short and long-range program goals.
- Serves as a representative of the organization for ethics and serves on various community and national boards.
- Organizes outside publications in coordination with the director and the goals of the John J. Lynch MD Center for Ethics.
- Under the direction of the Director, provides mentorship and supervision to John J. Lynch MD Center for Ethics staff.
- Master’s degree in Philosophy, Ethics, Bioethics, Theology, or an equivalent discipline is required.
- Doctorate degree in Philosophy, Ethics, Bioethics, Theology or an equivalent is preferred.
- Successful completion of a fellowship in clinical ethics is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of the field of applied and theoretical bioethics, and TJC requirements, psychology, conflict resolution, and mediation.
- Approximately five or more years of academic research and/or clinical experience.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, please go to: https://bit.ly/SrClinicalEthicistMWHC.
For questions, please contact Ben Krohmal at Benjamin.J.Krohmal@medstar.net.