Staff Clinical Ethicist
The John J. Lynch, MD Center for Ethics at MedStar Washington Hospital Center is seeking applicants for the position of Staff Clinical Ethicist. MWHC is a not-for-profit, 912-bed academic medical center and the busiest and largest hospital in Washington, D.C., serving as the region’s Level I Trauma Center. MWHC has one of the most active ethics consultation services (~400 consultations a year) and longest running hospital ethics programs (since 1982) in the country.
The successful applicant will join a rotation of on-call clinical ethicists in conducting clinical ethics consultations, participate in clinical rounds, assist in ethics education and policy development, and will have significant on-the-job time to devote to ethics research and scholarship.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Serves as a working member of the MedStar Washington Hospital Center’s Ethics Committee and its subcommittees, specifically the consultation and education subcommittees. Collaborates closely with relevant others within MWHC, especially the Senior Clinical Ethicist and other members of the John J. Lynch Center for Ethics. As, needed, will assist in the administrative duties of assigned committees including creation of minutes, record keeping, agendas, charters, member communication, etc.
- In conjunction with the Senior Clinical Ethicist, reviews and assists in development, revision, implementation, and maintenance of policies related to clinical and organizational areas requiring ethical guidance or oversight. Provides ethical guidance to committees / work groups as needed within the MWHC and beyond.
- Organizes, coordinates, and implements the John J. Lynch Center for Ethics’ Clinical Ethics Consultation Service, which provides 24 hr./365-day consultation in clinical ethics for patients and families, attending and resident staff physicians, nurses, social workers, administrators, and others. Fulfills assigned call including 24 hr. availability on some weekdays, weekends, and holidays and provides direct clinical ethics consultation. As a result, must be comfortable in clinical areas and with direct patient and family contact. Responsible for the implementation of the Clinical Ethics Consultation Service and the education and training of the clinical ethics consultants.
- Provides ongoing ethics support to the other MedStar hospitals including potential consultations and education, at the discretion of the Director for the Lynch Center for Ethics. This may include teleconsults and on-site activities.
- Provides ongoing and ad hoc education on clinical ethics to MWHC attendings, residents, staff, nurses, clinical pastoral education students, social work students, visiting students, etc. Provides ongoing self-education program for the ethics committee and provides orientation for new members.
- Provides liaison services between the Center for Ethics’ Clinical Ethics Consultation Service, MWHC’s Ethics Committee, and other departments and personnel within MWHC and MedStar Health, such as legal counsel, physicians, affiliated hospitals within Medstar Health and others.
- Provides support to other MedStar committees as assigned.
- Contributes to publications emanating from the John J. Lynch Center for Ethics. This includes the Journal of Hospital Ethics and ad hoc publications, such as books, journal articles/columns, and social media.
- Contributes to the supervision and education of trainees, including medical residents and academic interns, in the John J. Lynch Center for Ethics.
- Organizes, coordinates, and implements research projects relevant to the work of the John J. Lynch Center for Ethics.
- Master’s degree in Philosophy, Ethics, Bioethics, Theology, or an equivalent discipline is required.
- Doctorate degree in Philosophy, Ethics, Bioethics, Theology, or an equivalent terminal degree (e.g., JD, MD) is preferred.
- Successful completion of a fellowship in clinical ethics is highly preferred.
- Approximately two to three years of progressively more responsible job-related experience.
- Previous clinical ethics consultation experience highly preferred.
How to Apply
For more information and to apply, please go to: https://bit.ly/StaffClinicalEthicistMWHC.
For questions, please contact Ben Krohmal at Benjamin.J.Krohmal@medstar.net.